Meet the Runners! -Chris Sykes

RUNNER’S PROFILES – MEET christopher sykes!

Welcome to our newest Runner Profile feature on Christopher Sykes! Chris is a genuine, earnest guy who is truly one in a million. He recently celebrated the birth of a his second daughter with his lovely wife Meredith. This is Chris' second year participating in the Decolonize December 55K Run Challenge. 

Hi, my name is Chris Sykes. I am 39 years old, and I live in Madison, Wisconsin with my wife and 2 daughters. 


When and how did you get into running? 

Started running during COVID training for a 10k that never happened.


What do you love about running?

Time to be outside with my thoughts, music, podcast, or whatever I feel like.

 

What is your favorite distance and why?

5k because that’s how long the loop around the nearest lake is. 

 

What is your most memorable race or event and why?

The only race I’ve officially run is the Somerville Santa 5k. But now that I think about I’m not even sure that was an official race. But it was memorable.


What frustrates you about running?

Not being faster.

 

What motivates you to run?

When people I know are running.

 

Do you have days and times when you just don’t want to run?

Lots.

 

What do you think needs to happen to make running more accessible to people?

I’ve never thought about it but maybe better baseline health.

 

When you’re running what is going on in your head?

I’m usually thinking about stuff. My life, my challenges, my own inevitable death. 


 

Who inspires you and why? Running or otherwise

Anyone I see running when I’m not or haven’t for a while. My wife because she can’t run right now because she’s giving herself body and soul to our one-month old.

 

What is your funniest moment associated with running?

When I was pushing towards the finish line thinking I was flying and then my friend Thomas glided by me with almost no effort.

   

Why are you running the Decolonize December 55K Run Challenge?

I’ve been struggling with some of my self-care routines following the birth of our daughter and I’m trying to get back on track. 

 

What is your next running challenge and how are you approaching it?

Tomorrow’s run. I’m gonna see how I feel in the morning before deciding on a distance. 

 

What else would you like to share?

Next year I’m gonna try to get Meredith to join.


Folks, Chris is a man who values the quality of his words over the quantity. I love learning from Chris how to be a better man, and how to become a better runner. Chris' "Full Send" attitude, whether in costumes or in anything else he does in life, serves him well.

Enjoy your next run, Chris!

 

Comments