RUNNER’S PROFILES – MEET Alison Smizer!
Have you met Alison? Not only is she an incredible runner, she is also the most kind-hearted, admirable school counselor in all of the Greater Boston area. Alison grew up running with her dad before while also becoming a star swimmer in college. Her dream is to run with her son one day.
Ali absolutely loves passing people in the chute, then turning around and high-fiving them after they cross the finish line
When and how did you get into running?
I have always loved running since I was a little kid. One of my first memories was running with my dad. I would run across the playground with my father. However I got into running competitively in middle school when I joined the town track club. I was very tall and therefore was somewhat good at middle distance running and got to attend the regional junior Olympics championship that summer for 800. Then my dad and I started running together in high school and I ran my 1st 5K with him. I joined the spring track and then I would run whenever I could get out of swim warm-ups with my swim team. I probably should’ve always been a runner.
What running shoes are you currently using?
You already know the answer to this and I’m not 100% sure but I think they're the Brooks Ghost? (Josh reminds her): Yes, the Ghost 14
What is your favorite distance and why?
I love the marathon. I think that’s a distance where you can get deep in your head and process a lot of things that you’re doing in your life. Training for it is challenging but doable and it just feels so good.
What is your most memorable race or event and why?
I think the New York marathon because it was my first marathon and I ran it with my now husband. It was extremely emotional in many ways and I just always think back to that stretch when you run through Brooklyn and the crowd was just so energized and playing such loud music that I could see the energy pulsing through the crowd. I don’t know if my memory has turned that into something that’s more animated than it was, but it’s just such a surreal and exciting and powerful memory that I have of making it through that crowd at that time.
What do you love about running?
That you can do it almost anywhere, that you don’t really need any gear except for a pair of running shoes and in my case a sports bra, and for the vast majority of people there’s always someone better than you and also somebody slower than you. That makes it both such an individual endeavor, but also you can be competitive with whoever’s right in front of you and it makes it fun.
What frustrates you about running?
That it’s a mental sport, so sometimes you can be more physically prepared than you thought possible, but if your brain is not there, you end up not having the race you knew you could have run. And that is extremely disappointing.
What motivates you to run?
I think mostly the mental health benefits and the time that it allows me to be outside.
Do you have days and times when you just don’t want to run?
Yes, most days and most times.
What do you think needs to happen to make running more accessible to people?
We need to address a rape culture as a society because, as a woman, I have been cat called and stared at and received uncomfortable comments more times than I can count from men on the street while I run. Also, running to me still feels kind of like a privileged sport even though it shouldn’t be because you need to have the time to do it. I guess that’s just like any sport though. If there were more programs in elementary middle schools that involved kids and running it would be more accessible.
Ali is just about the cutest runner you could find in a freezing marathon corral
When you’re running what is going on in your head?
I think most of the time I process conversations and situations that I have experienced that day or week. I guess, that’s when I’m running alone. When I run with others, I tend to be a listener and not a talker so I think I’m just very attuned to what the other runner is saying.
Do you wear headphones while running or not? What is your reasoning for your response?
I usually do wear headphones, especially for long runs. Music helps make long runs go by faster and energetic pop music definitely motivates me. Lately I have not been using headphones just because my runs have not been that long and I appreciate being inside my head instead of distracting myself.
Who inspires you and why? Running or otherwise
Molly Seidel. She’s cute. For running, all of the marathoners that complete the race in six hours or more. I don’t know that I could run for six hours straight and I’m so impressed with folks who aren’t traditionally fast, I think they’re just so strong. I was also very inspired by Jocelyn Rivas, the recent world record holder who ran 100 marathons at the youngest age. She’s a Dreamer and her story was very inspiring.
What is your funniest moment associated with running?
Probably when I was running in Denver with Josh and I was having stomach problems. I had just decided that I was going to poop on the side of the running trail which was actually in a semi urban environment. And Josh wouldn’t let me, so I held it on my way to a gas station and made it safely. In the moment it was not funny but looking back it is very funny
What is your next running challenge and how are you approaching it?
I have been out of the running game for a while, so my next challenge is a half marathon. I ran 8 miles while pushing my son in a stroller a few weeks ago and count that as working towards it. I have not necessarily been following a training plan but mentally I’m preparing by telling myself I’ve done this distance many times and it’s going to be great.
Thanks, Ali!
Do you know what is absolutely incredible? Ali finished that half marathon today and she feels great! All smack dab in the middle of completing the Decolonize December 55K Run Challenge. What a Champ! Ali makes me want to be great every day!
Comments
Post a Comment