RUNNER’S PROFILES – MEET Joshua Hardester!
Welcome to our newest Runner Profile feature on Joshua Hardester! Josh is a goofy, obsessive runner who teaches PE, loves riding bikes with his son, and spends most of his free time walking his dog. Hold on to your hats for an extraordinary interview!
Hi, I’m Josh. I’ve been running "like runners do” – since I moved to San Luis Obispo in 2002.
Joshua Hardester couldn't find any recent close-ups
When (and how) did you get into running?
When I arrived in SLO in 2002, I bought a bike and a pair of sneakers. I used my bike to ride around the college campus, but I didn't know much about keeping it maintained. In fact, it had a huge dent in the frame that most bike shops labelled "unrideable". Nevertheless, I put some Kermit the Frog green handlebar wraps on it and rode that thing for a few thousand questionable miles. After getting hit by a car and trying to blame the dent on the driver, I realized I was going to have to run to my soccer games on the other side of town, since my bike was at the mechanic. Those sneakers, a pair of Adidas "Boston" were so light and comfortable. I blew through them. I realized I could run to games almost as fast as I biked, and after games, I would run to the bar or the ice cream shop faster than my teammates could drive. One day, when the cross country team saw me running in khakis and flip flops (why not?) they invited me to come out to the hills with them. I didn't join the cross country team, but I've been running ever since.
What running shoes are you currently using?
For road running, I like my Altra Paradigm 5. I'd be interested in trying out the Adidas Adios Pro 6 soon, maybe after winter. Until then, I'm going to blow up some Brooks Adrenaline and a pair of Saucony Xodus trails on the mushy days.
Josh and Ali (both in grey) leading the pack at the Maine Half Marathon in 2019
What is your favorite distance and why?
Difficult question, but I think I love the half marathon the most. I can hold a challenging pace for exactly that long. In fact, a few years ago, I stopped after 10 miles and took off my shoes. I was losing a toenail. I ended up running the last 3 miles barefoot, and I nearly made my PR. Wake me up any morning and invite me to run 13.1. I'll do it with absolute delight in any weather conditions.
What event(s) would you really like to participate in and why?
I like to race a 5K, but it is pure hell. The 10K and the 10 Miler are rare delights, but almost always a frustrating race. I told my wife the marathon isn't for me. Then I ran a trail 50K and decided I have to push myself toward ultras. I am hoping to run the American River 50 Miler in May. One day, maybe, I'll try 100. I'm giving myself a decade to achieve that goal.
What is your most memorable race/event and why?
There have been some magnificent races going with my wife. Swimrun 2017 sticks out because we were tied together and swimming across the harbor in Portland, ME. NYC was our first marathon, and I nearly gave up on life, if it weren't for a miracle encounter with her aunt in Central Park. Overcoming the terrain in the North Face Challenge was intense and rewarding. BAA half on my mom's birthday while running past the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge made me cry. DEST relay, both years, which involved running through the woods alone in the middle of the night, and jumping in the ocean at the Eastern-most point in the US was unforgettable. Having my dad drop us off at the CIM start line made me feel like I was in Jr High again. And my pregnant wife running with and coaching me through the Green River Marathon in 2019 was an honor and a fun, beautiful day. There aren't many runs I don't enjoy.
What do you love/like about running?
There are a lot of things I love about running. I love the feeling of being in control of my body when I’m running well, just eating up miles and enjoying my surroundings. I love the adrenalin associated with racing. I love the challenge of improving. I love the competitiveness. I love the times when I can see I’ve done well, improved. I love the science behind running, the mechanics. I love the tired achiness that comes the day after training hard. I love the freedom of being able to just put my running shoes on, forget about all the stresses associated with daily life, and go. I love the friends I’ve made through running. I really love the people. All of them.
Josh giving his all as a volunteer, organizer, and cheerleader of the LGM 5K in June
OK, what frustrates you about running?
- I can run in the morning and then take the dog out for a walk in the afternoon, see runners, and get jealous that they're running and I'm not. It is insatiable.
- The $50 5Ks that are actually costume keggers in a public park at 9am on a Sunday.
- The price of shoes.
What motivates you to run?
Thinking about that last mile. If we cross mile 8 of a 10 miler, my wife will say, "one point something to go." We also have a joke, "Qué es una milla? No es nada." I will run any number of miles, and the whole time I'm thinking about that last mile.
Do you have days/times when you just don’t want to run?
I always want to run. I find myself running more often now than ever like right after eating spicy pizza and drinking a couple of beers. Then the opportunity presents itself, and, to quote John Muir, "I must go."
How do you fit running into your life?
I push the stroller. Recently, we have started bike-runs because our son likes the bike better than the stroller. My wife runs 4 miles out while I bike beside her. We get out and play at the playground, and she bikes back while I run home. It is pretty fun, and we get a lot of laughs.
What do you think needs to happen to make running more accessible for people?
Brands and events need to recruit in communities of color. Yes, we have incredible indoor track all over Boston, but there need to be running clubs in public schools and Saturday kids events that actually make sense for families. Kids need to build relationships with runners who they can connect with.
When you’re running, what is going on in your head?
I’m not sure I know what’s going on in my head a lot of the time!
I day dream, mostly. I think about the people I love. I think about my mom a lot. We didn't share running, but running is a way for me to feel connected to her. When I’m running really hard, mental arithmetic. Multiplication, division, converting km to miles and back. Then I move on to indie music from pre 2007. When I can’t remember that, I just swear to myself.
Other days I’m largely thinking about food. I have to pass a McDonalds and a Wendy's and a Chipotle around the corner from my house. The smell of french fries kills me. I also think about beer, but that is not exclusive to running.
Do you wear headphones while running or not? What is your reasoning for your response?
Never ever. The sweat makes them fall out of my ears. But, I like to think, if you need music, you're doing it wrong.
Who inspires you and why? (Running or otherwise)
Rivs, Seidel, Shalane right now, especially after NYC. My brother in law Charley who has run WSER100 eleven times. Most people I know, probably. I admire most of my friends for working to be the best, even at things they think are boring.
What other blogs/articles/books/media do you recommend to others and for what reasons?
Semi-Rad. I love that guy. Now I hate running.
What are your ‘go-to’ running brands and why?
I will always consider buying an Adidas product, probably from my time playing soccer. I like Hoka. I feel like I'm always about to buy something, and I think, Hoka does that better. And Patagonia. The Patagonia duckbill hat is something to kill for. They sell them for like $100 on ebay. Best running hat.
What is your funniest moment associated with running?
Definitely during CIM. I got passed in downtown Sacramento by a few pace groups, but just didn't have enough gas in the tank to run, so I was walking along the edge wearing a shirt with my name on it. A lady yelled, "Let's go runners! Let's go Josh." She was going the extra mile for me, but it felt like I was excluded from the group. Eff, I just ran 25 miles and this lady doesn't even think I'm a runner? What am I doing out here? Then, when I crossed the finish line, my nephew told me my wife beat me by 20 minutes. He was pretty embarrassed for me.
What is your next running challenge and how are you approaching it?
AR50 in May. I just started the 100K training plan from the guys behind the Marathon Handbook. I'm going to have a hard time finding a bunch of marathons in February in the northeast, but there will be something. And we'll travel out to California for part of that, so that should be good.
There you have it folks! If you’re like me, you’ve just decided you need to go out and run. Now! Great motivating answers from Josh!
There’ll be another Runner’s Profile dropping next week!
Comments
Post a Comment